Thursday, 28 January 2016

Oh no ! Why did they have to change it ?

UPDATE FROM BLOGGER BUZZ Posted by Michael Goddard, Software Engineer
In 2011, we announced the retirement of Google Friend Connect for all non-Blogger sites. We made an exception for Blogger to give readers an easy way to follow blogs using a variety of accounts. Yet over time, we’ve seen that most people sign into Friend Connect with a Google Account. So, in an effort to streamline, in the next few weeks we’ll be making some changes that will eventually require readers to have a Google Account to sign into Friend Connect and follow blogs.


As part of this plan, starting the week of January 11, we’ll remove the ability for people with Twitter, Yahoo, Orkut or other OpenId providers to sign in to Google Friend Connect and follow blogs. At the same time, we’ll remove non-Google Account profiles so you may see a decrease in your blog follower count.


We encourage you to tell affected readers (perhaps via a blog post), that if they use a non-Google Account to follow your blog, they need to sign up for a Google Account, and re-follow your blog. With a Google Account, they’ll get blogs added to their Reading List, making it easier for them to see the latest posts and activity of the blogs they follow.

Oh dear ! I keep reading this but the information isn't really sinking in !
I guess I will have to subscribe by email to my favourite Blogs 
Friend Connect was so simple. What is the best and easiest way to follow blogs now ?

3 comments:

  1. This is really puzzling me too but I see from my followers the numbers have gone down, maybe they have stopped following me or maybe google have removed them, mind you if all 132 commented it would take for ever to read all the comments! I think the most comments ever received was bout 45. I follow you through google so all is well for me and hope you can still follow me . All double dutch to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am going through my Friend Connect list and have found that most Bloggers have a Follow by email link. This may be the best way to follow my favourite Blogs. Marion x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for posting this it explains why over three days I lost over 100 followers, I had a lot of twitter followers and they have been removed :(

    ReplyDelete